Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another Day On / In The Water With Devon


Well tues July 7 was another georgious day guiding on the Red Deer River. Recent rains had almost trippled the water flow. It is amazing @ how much the color of the water changes. It went from the clear glacier blue we have seen most of the summer so far, to an almost chocolate milk color. As the river rises it picks up sediments which change the color.
I was lucky enough too have another fantastic group to take down the river consisting of 6 adults and two great kids. Its unbelievable how much harder it is to steer and control the raft when ther are 8 customers and myself onboard. ( funny how it always seems to be my end of the raft that gets hung up on the shallow rocks first lol, mabey i gotta slow down the building of my molsen muscle huh! lmao)
I managed to dump 3 people outa the boat ( including myself :-^P) but also managed to keep both of the kids in! Although it was with a leg lock that i kept Oksana in once!
Our adventuris group consisted of two brothers Evan & Jimmy, a couple- Brenda & Steve, and a family Carrie & Gene their son Michel and his bff { watever that is (lol)} Oksana. I always like having kids in my raft. They are always so entertaining and their amasement and wonder @ all the magical things we see on the river keeps me in touch with why i love this job so much. I'm almost sorry to say i taught the kids how too use my old D.J.ing trick of yelling SOMEBODY SCREAM! too liven up a crowd. ( i think most of us adults are suffering from some mild hearing losses today!lol It always seems so cool to me @ how fast the kids learn too read the river. All i ever seem 2 have too do is give a couple of tugs on the back of their pfd's during the bigining of the trip when i see obstacles comming up then the next thing u no they are seeing them themselves and are already leaning in when i go too take care of them.
Gene and i managed too get dumped out as we grazed this big rock then planted too a sudden stop in the hole behind it. Then i managed to dump Brenda in another hole we call eddie turn. It always amazes me @ how the raft can be crusing down the river @ a good clip then wen you hit an eddie its like someone planted on the brakes full boar. I kept trying too dump Carrie but she was way too crafty for me, she spent a lot of time on her knees in the bottom of the boat. The kids wanted to try and throw her in but it never happened. As for Evan and Jimmy well they wer my bowsman and the only thing i cud loose from those two young lads was Evan's shoe's! lol i told him not to wear those "river shoes" lmao. Jimmy seemed to be the more stable one of our bunch i think he pulled everyone of us that got dumped out back in. (thanx bud sorry again for dumping Brenda out @ eddie turn or not lol)
Well that brings me too the end of yet another blog hope u enjoyed it i look forward too your comments. remember if its not wet its not worth it lol ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment